Monday, July 11, 2016

Ko Lanta-day 3

Our day started much as the same as every day in Thailand, with a 7/11 breakfast. I've also become a fan of the 3 in 1 coffee. That means coffee, sugar, and cream all in a nice little packet. I'd much prefer tea for this cough, but tea doesn't come in nice little packets. 

We took our morning swim. I wore my long-sleeved swim top to protect my back (it has SPF 50 built in). I don't know how we don't have any pictures-probably because we were too excited to go & play in the ocean. 

We also had a vacation milestone: we used up an entire bottle of sunscreen. I don't think I've done this in years. My recent bottles have been confiscated by TSA (you need an actual RX with you to keep them as you fly) or have expired. I'm also thankful we needed two, otherwise I'd have been upset with carrying around all this extra weight. We still have the never ending SPF 70 face from Amway, but at least we're into our second bottle of body sunscreen. 


Check out our sunglasses-both purchases on this trip. You'll always know when I'm taking the selfie in the rest of our vacation photos. The other sunglasses options were not suitable. 


Chris just looks so handsome. He says its because he hasn't done his hair since Hanoi. I think it's the extra color on his face-or that non-stressed smile that I miss so much during the school year. He is just my favorite. 

We couldn't return to our bungalow as the lady was cleaning it. We sat outside on the lounge chairs & played cribbage. And I had a Coke. I really do enjoy a good Coke-so I make it my goal to have one per country. They are expensive in restaurants, so I stocked up at the 7/11. 


 At this point we decided to see if we could stay another night. Why move on when we knew accommodation would be worse and we were happy here? We'd booked our bungalow for $25 a night through Agoda-but when we went to pay our land lady for it-only $20 a night. She also was able to help us arrange a snorkeling trip for tomorrow. That was our one item we still really wanted to do in Thailand-and why move islands if it could be arranged here? We also learned it will take us a full day and then an overnight bus to get up to Bangkok. She recommended flying-but we're already exceeded the budget with flights. Nothing like clouds on the beach.


This time we decided to venture out for lunch-it was supposed to rain in the evening. Chris thought there was more of a city just a bit up the road so we got dressed & headed out. We walked 1.2 miles in pre-storm weather. We were both surprised at how warm it was once we moved outside of the breeze coming off the sea. We found a lot more closed businesses. 


We had an over priced lunch of pad Thai (me this time) and a cheeseburger. If there was a McDonalds on the island, I would've been there breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I hit this point on every trip. When my sense of adventure has run out, I'm less likely to explore and I'm tired. Chris lovingly reminds me that I am none of those-I am sick, as I have been for the last 2 weeks with a cough and sneezing and a runny nose. For some reason my head congestion is worse every time we go swimming. (No, I will not stop going in the ocean. That would be ridiculous.)

We took an afternoon nap and did some more trip planning. We've been trying to figure out what is next since Phuket. We decided to go to Bangkok and do a couple day trips from there. I'm sure we've missed a lot of Thailand, but I don't need any more temples. The food is too spicy for me to be adventurous. But there is so much good about every country-and for Thailand, it's lazy days on the beach & elephants. 

We had some noodles for dinner and went back in the ocean. I needed more photos of Chris playing in the ocean. Why I thought dusk would be appropriate, I'll never know. My memory will just have to suffice for the delightful looks of child-like joy on his face. 



Earlier in the day Chris had me take photos of him at the shore line. In these photos, I'm standing in the exact same place. Look at how much the tide changes!!


We ended our evening with a bit of coffee & cookies on the porch, reading our guide books and chatting with friends all over the world on WhatsApp. We climbed into bed, played a couple of rounds of Ticket to Ride on our phones & went to bed. As I fell asleep, to the sounds of the ocean, my body felt the push and pull of being in the waves. It's lulling and soothing. This is the best I've slept. 

I love it here. I'm so thankful we decided to stay another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment