Friday, June 10, 2016

Club Jet Lag Hanoi

IPlease don't let that title mislead you. Certainly Hanoi is quite cosmopolitan and capable of quality raves and bumping nightlife. 

No, the only Club I refer to is the hitting kind. And we weren't in Hanoi long before it struck. 

From Taipei, we landed in Hanoi two and a half hours later. Enough for another nap and 2nd (Asian) breakfast. We then got into Hanoi at 11 in the morning. Negotiating our visa wasn't exactly straightforward upon entry. We walked to customs and by flow of people we found a desk with a line of foreigners under "visa application." Now we had prepaid to organize a Visa On Arrival (VOA), so we merely gave them our passports and a letter they sent indicating entry type and dates. After milling around for about 20 minutes, our names were called and passports returned after paying $50 each. We then passed through customs line, were stamped in, and then we collected our bags. 

We had heard outside the airport is chaotic. Once our hostel offered to pick us up, we jumped at it. So, for the first time in my life, I had someone outside the airport waiting with my name on a paper. He brought us outside, went to get his car, and then started the 30 minute ride to the city center. Our driver was very nice, spoke English well, and asked many questions. He gave some travel advice as we neared our hostel. Then he called to have us picked up. It was down a tiny alley, but was perfect. They gave us bananas and tea while we waited. 
We used their wifi while we took in the scenes. 
And we plotted our first moves. 
Eventually, we were led to our room on the fourth floor. 
We promptly used that shower (two settings: cold and scalding). And then got our things ready to set out. I made a coffee. 
About that same time, Mer felt a little nauseous and needed just a little nap. Two o'clock turned to 3 and then to 4. 

Then, my head drooped as I fell asleep in the chair. Eventually, I mozied to the bed as Mer woke up. I was so disoriented and eyes dry after napping in contacts, that I said I was done. 

"Okay," Meredith declared. "I just needed to know we're in for the night."

It led to a ridiculous scene where I took out my contacts, only to have Meredith do the same a minute later, but mistaked my case for hers and splashed the liquid on the floor. (Hint: don't bring the same cases). After brushing my teeth, I found a contact in the sink and in my stupor, stated monotonously, "I found a contact in the sink." Mer figured it out before I did and collapsed in giggles on the floor. 

"I used your case!" She laughed roaringly. "I wondered why there was solution in it." 

"Wait," I thought aloud, "Where's my other one?"
 
I searched for a moment and found a lone blue lens on the bathroom floor. Despite her continuing giggles, Mer helped return them to solution. 

We then set an alarm for 6 am (to get up for the start of breakfast at 7.)

"What time is it right now?" Meredith asked. 

"6:30," I answered settling my head on my pillow. 

I guess Hanoi will have to wait another day. Jet lag hit us well. We'd lost 1 day in travel (where'd you go, Thursday?) and now another to the plague of bad sleep and flipped daylight. At least the bed was comfy and the AC worked well. 

Good night, day 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment