Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Another day in Salta

We woke up at 5:30 to catch a taxi to the Tren a las Nubes. A very nice woman met us as we exited the taxi and explained that due to maintenance, the train would not be going today. She explained to go inside for a refund. Please keep in mind we were just at the office yesterday afternoon and no one said ANYTHING. The train broke down on Saturday (3 days ago) and will not be fixed until August. Thankfully our taxi driver circled back around and picked us up as we exited from our refund (thank you Jesus for the little things).

Sad to say, but we are thankful. We both woke up thinking-I hope I can stay awake and do not miss anything on the train ride. Chris did not feel well. I did not sleep well. And by 6:45 we were both back in bed. Chris slept. I finished my second book of the trip. Our neighbors let their 2 year old daughter play with the key in the lock all morning. (A lot has changed in 6 years. Until this trip I'd never come across children at a hostel & this is our second time.)

Chris woke up at 11 still feeling upset tummy. He said said drinking water gave him the dry heaves. Back to bed. I am now on book 3 of the Janet Evanovich series. They are good company on this trip (and don't require a lot of brain power). At 2pm Chris headed for the bathroom and confirmed: food poisoning. It's a mild case and we are thankful. Not sure what he ate that I didn't try yesterday. The only thing we can figure is different quantities. Maybe I just didn't ingest enough to get sick-or I have a gut of steal. At any rate we are thankful for the canceled train this morning (and extra hours of sleep).

We have our windows open for a breeze & it's a lovely day in Salta. Our one goal is to make it to do laundry this afternoon/ evening. I've caught up on all forms of digital media and even have a blog copied for the next leg of our adventure.  Just as we were ready to head out Chris wasn't feeling well and back to bed. He then got the chills (it's 79 here today) and fell asleep. I finished book #3 in the series  as the sun went down. I'm very thankful I packed my Kindle and loaded it up with books before the trip. 

Chris wanted something light for dinner which is an oxymoron in beef country. We both came to the conclusion that if at were at home, we wouldn't be eating dinner because neither one of us was hungry. (I did eat 5 empanadas during the day that were intended for our train ride.)

At 8pm we headed out to drop off laundry. I needed to walk in hopes to sleep tonight. I promised Chris ice cream everyday in Argentina and although he initially rejected my proposition this evening, once we were out he changed his mind. I had a lemon mousse which was creamy and just lovely. Strong flavor, but light. Pleasant. (Yes, I was trying to make a face, but obviously not that one. We don't have another picture to post.)


And we're calling it a night. Tomorrow we'll start over again. Most of all, we are thankful for timing. Our train was canceled on a day Chris was sick. There was no plan B thus a quiet day of laying low worked out perfectly. Our hostel has excellent wi-Fi from the room that I was able to use today as Chris napped. The beds are probably the most comfortable we've had (even though we pushed the two twin beds together) and we have a space heater that effectively heats up the room. And tomorrow is a day of travel, providing Chris the opportunity to continue to rest & lay low. Not that there ever is a good time to be sick, but we are seeing God's perfect timing in the little details which affirms that He is in control. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment