Saturday, July 12, 2014

Cusco

We woke up late (not surprising after our "night" at the airport) and raced off to exchange money, but water & join our tour group. We got incredibly lost (I left the map on the bed by accident) but still arrived in time (thank you kind stranger). Street names seem to change after intersections. 

Our first sight was the Basilica Cathedral. Photos are not allowed inside and we felt like cattle being herded prior to the tour, so please forgive the lack of photos. The cathedral was built with stones looted from nearby Inca temples. Pretty classy of the conquistadors. The amount of pure silver was astounding. Silver alters. Silver front panels (not sure the real word). Also interesting how the Spainish brought the gospel but did not explain it. The Inca interpretation of the Lasy Supper includes guinea pig, a dilacey to the Incas. And in the painting it looks like a little bald lap dog. (Admission ticket photo.)

Stop #2 was a good 15 minute walk (which seemed way too far for our tired bodies) to Qorikancha. The gold was looted from this temple thus the rocks that used to be covered in this 

Now appeared to be like this: 

We loaded a bus to Qenko. I remember walking through some tunnels. Guide book says there was a large rock (which I remember (used for sacrifices). We walked in and among the rocks 
And I paid a sol to have my photo taken with this dude. 

On to Sacsayhuaman (pronounced sexy woman). At this point I asked Chris if everything was going to be just a pile of rocks. He kindly pointed out my exhaustion. Love that man. Sacsayhuaman was the head of the puma for which Cusco was designed. This is the second most important complex after Machu Pucchu and was said to be a religious complex. A bunch of rocks. Really big rocks. (This is my "at the pool" photo that people are taking these days. I call it-at the rocks.)

We climbed up Sacsayhuaman for views of Cusco. Heart pounded. Glad to know there was an MD in our tour group. I asked Chris if he was breathing hard on purpose to mock me. He said obviously not as he had no idea he was breathing hard. Altitude. We are aware. 
I found more interesting the terraces across from Sacsayhuaman. 

Back on the bus and over to Tambomachay. This was an Inca bath. Incas built lodgings 12 km apart between major destinations. This one was 12 away from Sacsayhuaman. There was water pouring out from an unknown source. I asked Chris if we should get a picture & he said no. We both were tired at this point. There was a great photo op that I could not take advantage of as my body had set limits. This is me sad about the lodging across from the water at Tombomachay. 


Our entire group was exhausted and we opted to do a drive by of the last sight. 

As we drove back into Cusco the moon was out in full. 
( yes that is the moon over the mountains. )

We got lost on our walk back to the hostel ate some terrible pizza at the place next door. Our den mother at the hostel turned on the hot water & I had a heavenly shower. (Chris took a chilly splash before the tour.) We climbed in bed, exhausted, but thankful and aware that we are oh so blessed. 

I'll leave you with my favorite picture. Chris posing at Sacsayhuaman. 


No comments:

Post a Comment